Sunday 12 October 2008

L'EXCITATION : Plus tard le matin : jour 4






With la Basilique du Sacré-Cœur glaring down from behind we were guided through vibrant, pretty little allées with names that nearly disclosed the history of the place. Rue du Chevalier de La Barre and Rue du Mont Cenis led us to the fabulous little Place du Tertre, the pulsing heart of le Quartier de Montmartre.

With artists setting up their easels each day for tourists, this picturesque little square in the 18e, is a reminder that Montmartre was the mecca of modern art. In the early 20th century, penniless painters including Picasso and Utrillo lived here.

We stopped for coffee at Le Sabot Rouge, and even though Michael forgot to wear his Red Clogs, we laughed and carried on like pork chops !
So much so, that le Maître and a pretty little French girl, (all French girls are pretty, - no exceptions ! ), came and sat with us to see what all this enjoyment was about.
Le Maître knew more about Adelaide than was possible and so we kept on laughing; - in French, of course !

Michael, having re-fuelled and not even looking like slowing, directed us to the Rue Saint Vincent and La Vigne de Montmartre, the last surviving vineyard in Paris.

Moulin Rouge was slowly getting closer......

5 comments:

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Sigh.... Gosh. Speechless really. This is where I'd love to be. I had to click on each pic to see all the artwork; some a little garish for my taste, but the draughtmanship was superb. Amazing artists. I adore that it's so crowded, buzzing with enthusiasm there. Somehow, so local, too. Looks like a community spirit exists amongst the locals even amidst the passing human traffic.

In the second photo down, I think Michael must be on an urgent phone call saying "Sell! Sell! Sell!"

Well that was another fascinating tour, Monsieur, thank you so much. I shall say it and, not for the first time, I wish I lived in Paris!

M.Benaut said...

Lynn,

I promise that on the next trip you will have no choice in the matter; we will go to Paris together.

Michael was totally distraught that you didn't accompany us, and Eric just had fits of depression over your absence.

You wish you lived in Paris; - totally believable. So do I.

En fait, quiconque qui a le sang dans des leurs veines, aimeraient habiter à Paris !

Paris ROCKS. And so does France; it's everywhere you look and you can't help yourself !!!

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Absolument, Monsieur! The French blood seems to course through my veins, even though it's not there. Actually that's not true. My father is tracing the family tree and there is a suggestion of it. He has more research to do... how exciting if he finds just a tiny bit of sang a la francais!

I'm sure you exaggerate, Monsieur, but I am really, REALLY touched by what you say about Eric and Michael. I could weep, she said in a most British way. lol !

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

And you are very kind. I would LOVE to come with you next time, of course!

dive said...

That looks like a swell party, Monsieur!