Saturday 19 May 2007

Mushrooms are great for barbequeing


Previously thought to contain little nutritional value, many varieties of mushrooms are high in fibre and protein, and provide vitamins such as thiamine (B1), riboflavin (B2), niacin (B3), biotin (B7), cobalamins (B12) and ascorbic acid (C), plus minerals, including iron, selenium, potassium and phosphorus.
They contain antioxidants Ergothioneine and Selenium. Research is being conducted as to how mushrooms help to prevent breast cancer, prostate cancer, and heart disease, diabetes, high cholesterol, and obesity.

These mushrooms typically spring up in hordes in Adelaide after the rains. On an Aussie barbeque, what could be nicer with a little cleansing Cooper's Sparkling Ale.

7 comments:

Monica said...

When I go to a japanese restaurant I often have Shiitake or Shimeji, my favourite kinds of mushroom.
But I never had it on a barbecue!!
Some teriyaki sauce to go with it maybe?!

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Great photo especially as it downloads!

How you feeling today, Mme? ... x

Anonymous said...

Hi Lynn and Mon,
I'm feeling a little light headed from lack of sleep and headache, not from mushrooms which unfortunately I can't eat as they are loaded with natural MSG and I am allergic to them if I eat them in more than extremely moderate quantities.
Today my sisters and I met at the funeral parlour, making arrangements. We meet in the morning with the celebrant to arrange the order of service. M.B has to burn a CD with the songs and I have to produce the memorial cards and write the eulogy (and deliver it) so the pressure is still on with the funeral on Monday morning. Still, we all have a sense of humour and a good deal of relief mixed in with the grief, that the "taskmaster" is no longer ordering us around!
I continue to be amazed at the wonderful and generous thoughts expressed by everyone for my sisters and I. A death in the family is such a very strange time. Thank you again for the lovely flowers on your blog. Terroni put some beautiful orchids on her blog today too which is very touching.

Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Ah, i'm glad that you can feel focussed and of course you have lots to organise now. Great that you have everyone around you. Thinking of you.

Monica said...

It´s understood Mme.Benaut that you´ll have a lot on your mind these days.
Hope you can feel better with each passing day.

Terroni said...

This picture reminds me of some delicious grilled mushrooms I had last night...yum!


Madame,
By the time you read this, you will have made it through the funeral. I hope you get the chance to rest a bit now. I'm thinking of you, friend.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Terroni dear - resting is precisely what I have in mind, having had so little sleep in the past few days and yes, it is all behind us now.