Sunday 4 March 2007

Rules for Teachers, September 1886


Domenico Scarpantoni from the Abruzzi region of central Italy, migrated to Australia in 1952, to settle in McLaren Vale, south of Adelaide.
In 1968, he purchased an old school property and planted vines. The result was "School Block", a blend of Shiraz, Cabernet and Merlot, aged in oak for 12 months.
When you click and enlarge this photo, taken in an old school house, you will notice that, in 1886, it was forbidden for female teachers to wear bloomers whilst cycling!
We enjoyed this wine with roast lamb and later joined a Feminist Movement anyway. Rules; just love them!

9 comments:

freelancer said...

funny pic !

Kate said...

As a former teacher I have seen rules similar to this, but none as forbidding or bizarre. Glad that women obviously disregarded these antiquated laws!!

Dsole said...

this is so interesting!
I would like to find the same for spanish teachers!

Utsav said...

"Hair closely cropped (unless bald or have disease of the scalp)"

LOL, I like that!! Hahaha...

Ame said...

OMGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD you keep me in stitches M-B!!!! What a great story to go along with my Cab! ;)

kuanyin333 said...

Yipppeeee...another photoblog I've discovered...how did I miss you before! Sorry! :-(

Hmmm....you're making me hungry with this post!

M.Benaut said...

Kuanyin,
It's an honour to be visited by a Godess. I am really glad you have called.
When I was 12, I received a severe electric shock that threw me across a wet lawn. Ever since I have known that people of compassion will enter my life.
Welcome to Adelaide and thanks for the (now) opportunity of visiting Maui.

Monica said...

gee, this reminds me that I still haven't tasted australian wine.

How about pouring me a glass?!

Ame said...

M-B! Thanks Mate for keeping me abreast of the "Ozzie Bap" thingy! What would I do without your laughs?!?

;)